RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual 24 October 2021 Lesson 8 – Beatitudes.
TOPIC: Beatitudes: The Merciful and Pure In Heart
OPENING PRAYER: Father, help me to be pure in heart and show mercy unto others.
BIBLE PASSAGE: Matthew 5:7-8
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
“With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright. Psalms 18:25.
In continuation of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, the fifth Beatitude states, “Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy” (Matt.5:2). While the sixth beatitude states “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God” (Matt. 5:8). 8n this lesson, we shall attempt to answer the questions who the merciful is, who the pure in heart is and why Jesus’ pronounced the corresponding blessings on them respectively.
TEXT REVIEW: Matthew 5:7-8
The Lord Jesus Christ further made mentioned of the sixth and seventh beatitudes and the benefits therein as follows:
A. Blessed are…………… V7a.
B. Blessed are…………… V8a.
1: BLESSED ARE THE MERCIFUL
“Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy” (Matt.5:72)
• Question 1: Who and what are the attributes of the merciful?
• Answer: i. The merciful’ are those who are so affected by the sufferings of others, as to be disposed to relieve them (Lk.10:30-35)
ii. To be merciful is to show forgiveness and compassion to an offender, one subject to
one’s power (Matt.18:23-27) or generally those in need.
iii. Jesus frequently spoke of this trait (Matt. 6:12: 9:13).
• Question 2: Why are the merciful blessed?
• Answer: i. Each day of our lives, each hour and each moment, we partake in God’s undeserved mercy (Psalms 86:15; 100:5).
ii. All the blessings we enjoy are proof of His mercy (Ps.68:19).
iii. If we also show mercy to the poor, the wretched, the guilty, it shows that we are like God; we have His Spirit and shall not lose our reward (Luke 6:36; Matt.5:44-45).
iv. We are blessed if we are merciful because mercy is something God Himself displays Deut.30:3; Ps.28:6).
v. The merciful is blessed because he shall obtain mercy, when he most wants it, and most desires it (Ps.46:1,5).
CLASS ACTIVITY 1:
Class should discuss why Believers should be merciful.
LESSON OUTLINE 2:
BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART
“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God” (Matt.5:8).
• Question 1: What does it mean to be ‘pure in heart’?
• Answer: i. The Greek word for “pure” in Matthew 5:8 is ‘katharos’. It means to be “clean, blameless, and unstained from guilt
ii. The Greek word for “heart” in Matthew 5:8
is ‘kardeeah’. This can be applied to the physical heart. But it also refers to the spiritual center of life. It is where thoughts, desires, sense of purpose, will, understanding and character reside.
ii. To be pure in heart means to be blameless in who we actually are (Prov.4:23).
iv. The pure in heart are those freed from the dominion and pollution of sin: whose minds, motives, and principles are pure. They seek not only to have the external actions correct, but desire to be holy in heart, and are so
V. A pure heart has no hypocrisy, no guile and no hidden motives (1 Pet.2:1).
• Question 2: How can one have a pure heart?
• Answer: i. The only way we can be truly pure in heart is to give our lives to Jesus and ask Him to do the cleansing work (Ps.51:10).
ii. God is the one who makes our hearts pure – by the sacrifice of His Son and through His sanctifying work in our lives (John 17:17).
• Question 3: Why are the pure in heart blessed?
• Answer: i. The ‘pure in heart’ shall see God. To ‘see God’ means to have right views of Him, and enjoy His presence here and here after (Heb.12:14; Ps.16:11).
ii. In the pure heart the Lord will dwell and his presence will be recognised (John 14:23; 1 John 3:2-3)
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: Class should discuss why believers must be pure in heart.
If you are merciful, you will obtain mercy, if you are pure in heart you will enjoy God’s presence.
God will always show up for the Merciful and the pure in heart.
Students should mention some attributes of those with pure hearts.
Father, I receive the grace to be compassionate and pure in heart.
Mention five (5) things that can make the heart of a believer impure.